Usage & Ability Questions

Everything related to protocols and IR codes
bigjess007

Usage & Ability Questions

Post by bigjess007 »

I have some questions about analysir.

I need to create copies of the output of a few remotes for playback via LIRC. I will not have permanent access to the remotes, so I need to ensure that the captured remote's output is 100% accurate. Does analysir offer some method of ensuring this? I've found that when running LIRC's irrecord on the same remote more than once there will be discrepancies between the captures. While most times playback works, I will not have permanent access to these remotes so I need to ensure that the output I capture for playback is the exact output of the remote.

Providing I can use analysir to get an accurate IR capture, how do I then convert that to be able to be used by LIRC for playback to control the devices?

Finally, according to your website, you sell the learnir module with the option of a bundle with analysir. However there is no bundle in the drop down on the learnir page even though there are several mentions of the bundle on that page.

Thanks in advance.
AnalysIR
Site Admin

Re: Usage & Ability Questions

Post by AnalysIR »

I need to ensure that the captured remote's output is 100% accurate.
No IR learner/recorder will capture signal timings 100%.
However, we have a unique feature in both AnalyIR & LearnIR to 'clean' received signals such that they are indeed 100% accurate.
This works only with supported protocols (i.e. most protocols in common use) & AnalysIR has a much bigger list of protocols configured vs LearnIR.
LearnIR also has a facility to add support to clean any protocols via the GUI.
FYI: We usually add support for Protocols that are not supported, if the user sends us a set. This is only requires a config change.

As I don't know which devices you are controlling, I cannot say definitively - but LearnIR will accurately reproduce any signal we ever came across. With LearnIR any error in the recorded signal timing is trivial, even before cleaning. The default accuracy of LearnIR is far superior to standard IR receivers.

AnalysIR has a facility to export signals in LIRC conf format, which can be played/sent with LIRC on any system that supports LIRC.
I assume you know how to use LIRC with .conf files.

Regarding the bundle, that has been replaced recently with an AnalysIR Discount. If you plan to proceed contact me via the contact form on our website or support@[DomainName].com detailing the items required in your order and I will send you a coupon in lieu of the bundle - as a once of, because of the error on the website..

If cost is an issue, have a look at the A.IR Shield Nano, which uses standard IR receiver for timings, but they can also be corrected(cleaned) in AnalysIR.
bigjess007

Post by bigjess007 »

Thanks for the response, and please allow me to clarify what I am trying to accomplish as I think I let out some details.

The goal is to be able to send IR signals via a website. That hopefully is going to be done via a RasPI running LIRC that anyone who can get to the address can send.

But first I need to capture all of the signals, and be sure that I have as close to 100% accurate capture as possible as I will not have permanent access to the remotes. That's where analysir comes in.

I was looking at your advanced infrared learner module with serial USB adapter bundled with AnalysIR to capture the remote's output. I know the module comes with LearnIR, but it seems that AnalysIR is the full featured product that's why I was asking about the bundle. And I'm guessing your module gives me the highest probability of ensuring an accurate capture. I currently have a USB IR Toy v2 that I have experimented with using WinLIRC and gotten different captures of the remotes that some work and some don't. So thus why I was inquiring about going with your full hardware/software package.

And ofcourse after capture and analysis/verification, then outputting to LIRC format for playback.

I'm not controlling any A/C's. This is all audio/visual equipment spread out among many different brands.
AnalysIR
Site Admin

Post by AnalysIR »

Thanks for the update...

You 'should' be able to accomplish all of this with the IR Toy & AnalysIR.
(The only thing is that there are a small number of tricky protocols that the Toy may struggle with)

AnalysIR can correct 99% of timing issues from the IR Toy.
bigjess007

Post by bigjess007 »

I'd rather go with something you've built and are familiar with, especially while I'm learning on how to do this. 100% capture accuracy (or as close as I can get to it) is a big deal since I will not have access to the remotes permanently. And honestly, I just find the toy too glitchy, I've had several issues with the firmware.

I'm going to shoot you an email regarding placing an order. Thanks!