Daikin Remote - older model

Everything related to protocols and IR codes
dkc1959

Daikin Remote - older model

Post by dkc1959 »

Hi.
We have a couple of AC units in the house we bought 10 years ago - a Mitsubishi and a Daikin. Both have "clone" remotes that work, but don't decode all the available functions listed in the operations manual. The Mitsubishi is OK as with help from AnalysIR software & blog I was able to decode the missing functions and create my own remote. The Daikin however is proving more difficult however. AnalysIR software decodes it as Daikin160AC and using the reverse engineering tool, and pressing all the buttons I have a good handle on the functions that the clone remote provides ... but I'm stuck on how to successfully produce he one function I want that it doesn't provide ... i.e. Auto Mode. The AC manual confirms that the unit supports DRY, COOL, HEAT and AUTO ... which selects the most appropriate mode based on the room temp.

Daikin AC Model is FTY50GV1A

The protocol consists of 2 Frames :
Frame 1 (7 Bytes that never change) = {11 DA 27 F0 0D 00 0F } where 0F is the checksum.
Frame 2 (13 bytes where some change) = {11 DA 27 00 D3 31 F1 00 00 16 0A 08 2F} where 2F is the checksum and 31 = MODE COLD (3) and Power ON (1), F1 = Swing/Vane = Auto, 16 = Temp 21C and 0A = Fan Auto
Daikin160AC sample.png
My issue is that without the original remote, or access to the codes I'm not sure how to work out the correct code for Auto except trial and error.
I have worked out the following already :

MODE 0 = ??? Doesn't seem to do anything
MODE 1 = ??? Turns on - but not sure what else
MODE 2 = DRY
MODE 3 = COLD
MODE 4 = HEAT
MODE 5 = ??? Not tested yet
MODE 6 = FAN (I think)
MODE 7 = ??? Not tested yet

It could use 3 or 4 bits, so values from 0 to F in theory, but more likely 0-7

If I can't get any more information, I think I'll setup some DIP switches on unused inputs and cycle through the options to narrow it down a bit

Any thoughts ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AnalysIR
Site Admin

Re: Daikin Remote - older model

Post by AnalysIR »

2 ideas....

1. Get hold of a Universal AC remote and try that. You can get them from Aliexpress for less than $5 delivered. (we have some here, but would have to charge a lot more than that + shipping). look for model K-1028E. Amazon may be a faster option. However, I cant be sure it will support your exact unit.

2. I will email you a saved session file of Daikin160AC signals I have from another user that I believe is set to Auto mode. Unfortunately they are all in the same mode. Again this may not match your unit even if it has the same protocol label, but worth a try.

Otherwise your conclusion is valid....if you don't have a source remote with auto mode support.....trial and error is a good way to proceed.
dkc1959

Post by dkc1959 »

OK ... narrowed it a bit further. It is only 3 bits as I had thought - I confirmed by checking against the Modes I am certain of, and no difference consistently if the 4th bit is 0 or 1.

MODE 0 = INVALID - Doesn't power up or do anything
MODE 1 = Powers up and starts fan immediately ... not sure what else
MODE 2 = DRY (confirmed)
MODE 3 = COLD (confirmed)
MODE 4 = HEAT (confirmed)
MODE 5 = Powers up and seems to be "thinking" ... fan doesn't start immediately.
MODE 6 = FAN (I think)
MODE 7 = INVALID - Doesn't power up or do anything

The File emailed was Daikin160AC and seems to be identical coding, but I think it is COOL rather than AUTO. I have the requested temp set at 21C which is too close to the actual Ambient temp. so I'll need to change that to provide a bigger gap to ambient and test again. In theory the Auto mode should sample the ambient for a few minutes and then decide what to do ... if I can find a mode that matches that behaviour I'll have a winner.
AnalysIR
Site Admin

Post by AnalysIR »

Forgot to mention:

The AC protocol names mean nothing and are just a placeholder. It seems that many brands resell units from other OEM manufacturers.

Of course some may just reuse/rebrand the control units, with the IR functionality on their own AC core.