ESP8266 IR Emmiter Wiring problem

compusmile

ESP8266 IR Emmiter Wiring problem

Post by compusmile »

Hello,
I have a problem using a correct IR Emitter wiring circuit for my ESP8266. Attached you can find the wiring that i am using and is causing me problems.
Any help will be Appreciated.

Regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
compusmile

Re: ESP8266 IR Emmiter Wiring problem

Post by compusmile »

The Transistor used is 2N2222.
AnalysIR
Site Admin

Post by AnalysIR »

First thing is to put a resistor in series with the IR LED (between the LEd and the RED wire to 3V3). This is typically referred to as a current limiting resistor, for a good reason (to avoid damage to tge devices or worse!)

The resistor value should be 22R or 47R (or 2x 47R in parallel) in this set-up.

Then the circuit should behave better.

However, the 3V3 regulator might have problems delivering extra IR current as well as supplying WiFi power. If you see intermittent problems, then power the IR led fron the 5V supply.

From your email, your mentioned you have issues with longer signals vs shorter ones, which may be related to the 3V3 regulator struggling?

5V may be available on a diode connected to VIN and you may need to solder to the diode to get 5V. then you will have lots more current available for IR power.
AnalysIR
Site Admin

Post by AnalysIR »

compusmile wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:51 pm The Transistor used is 2N2222.
That is fine...any general purpose NPN should work OK.
compusmile

Post by compusmile »

Hello,
I have connected 2 x 10R resistors in a series because i didn't have 22R to get 20R between the red wire and the IR LED. I have supplied the LED with 5V coming from the usb provided with the IR learner but still the same. I am attaching photo of the revised wiring.
Regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AnalysIR
Site Admin

Post by AnalysIR »

OK

Its hard to see if the wiring is correct, for the IR LED and the NPN

Double check the wiring for the LED to make sure the orientation is correct.

Similarly, for the NPN...it seems that collector and emitter could be reversed(?).

It could also be that they are all fine too and it just the camera angle/detail.

Does this still work with the other signals? or can you see the LED light up using a phone camera?

If you can post back on this and I will start to look at the code you emailed earlier to see if the issue is there.
AnalysIR
Site Admin

Post by AnalysIR »

one more thing, you need to point the top round bit of the IR LED directly at the AC unit and probably bring it closer too.....as it is it is just pointing at the ceiling!
compusmile

Post by compusmile »

Hi,
I have used the camera and i can see the IR Flashing. As i mentioned before some times i get response from the STB but not very often. The IR LED is 2CM away from the STB.
compusmile

Post by compusmile »

PN2222 wiring
AnalysIR
Site Admin

Post by AnalysIR »

Ok

that looks much better and appears correct.

I wil look at the code and try it our here tomorrow if I get some time.

One thing you could do, is to use LearnIR to capture the signals being sent by the ESP8266 and email them to me or post them here. I can then see what they look like with AnalysIR.