455 khz

SirLamp

455 khz

Post by SirLamp »

Howdy,

I'm currently doing some work with an STM32F042 on a 455khz carrier. Does analysis IR supports this? Anyway I could adapt a discovery board to be supported? I've used analysIR with slower carriers in the past and it was fantastic.
AnalysIR
Site Admin

Re: 455 khz

Post by AnalysIR »

The carrier frequency is usually handled by the IR receiver.

If you have a standard 455kHz receiver then it will work fine with AnalysIR. They are hard to find and a lot more expepnsive than standard IR receivers in the 30->56kHz bracket.

With AnalysIR we also make use of an optional IR Learner to measure the carrier frequency, which operates from 20->60kHz.

Most MCUs can send @ 455kHz easily enough, but reception requires a dedicated IR receiver tuned to 455kHz.

We don't have firmware for AnalysIR running on STM devices. But I just happen to have had a nucleo dev board with an STM32F072 delivered & should be able to port the software.
I am planning to use the embed dev environment.

Alternatively, it is easy enough to port the AnalysIR firmware yourself.
SirLamp

Post by SirLamp »

AnalysIR wrote:The carrier frequency is usually handled by the IR receiver.

If you have a standard 455kHz receiver then analysIR will work fine with AnalysIR. They are hard to find and a lot more expensive than standard IR receivers in the 30->56kHz bracket.

With AnalysIR we also make use of an optional IR Learner to measure the carrier frequency, which operates from 20->60kHz.

Most MCUs can send @ 455kHz easily enough, but reception requires a dedicated IR receiver tuned to 455kHz.

We don't have firmware for AnalysIR running on STM devices. But I just happen to have had a nucleo dev board with an STM32F072 delivered & should be able to port the software.
I am planning to use the embed dev environment.

Alternatively, it is easy enough to port the AnalysIR firmware yourself.
I have a big bag of receivers ready to go :)
I can plop one onto the arduino, but wasn't sure it would be sampling fast enough.
AnalysIR
Site Admin

Post by AnalysIR »

Cool

The IR receiver demodulates the carrier and the output is a relatively slow data stream...so no issue.

Which model IR receiver are you using for 455kHz?
SirLamp

Post by SirLamp »

I have both TSOP5700 and TSOP7000 IR receivers
AnalysIR
Site Admin

Post by AnalysIR »

Cool - they should do the job...

... I ordered some TSOP7000s online and they turned out to be fakes - so I got a refund and am the owner of a bag of fakes :).

However, all of the replacements are 100% genuine and work fine.

What is your project..presumably B&O related?
SirLamp

Post by SirLamp »

The project is an open source effort to make a cheap and reliable lap timing system for drone racing :)
We're happy to have any assistance !

You mentioned fakes, any insight into how you identified those - did you find performance lacking ?
AnalysIR
Site Admin

Post by AnalysIR »

unfortunately, no spare time for other projects...:(

The 455kHz fakes just performed poorly , with lots of noise. The genuine ones provide a very clean & noise free output.

Why not use more readily available 'standard' IR receivers vs ones that don't seem to be manufactured any more.

FYI: have a look at our BeamIR module which will be launched soon...
see: https://www.analysir.com/blog/2015/09/2 ... t-barrier/
and: https://www.analysir.com/blog/tag/makeir/

We have eval units of all MakeIR modules available in advance of the official launch.