Microsoft eHome infrared receiver & AnalysIR

AnalysIR
Site Admin

Microsoft eHome infrared receiver & AnalysIR

Post by AnalysIR »

A user asked this question?
Is it possible to use AnalysIR with the Microsoft eHome infrared receiver? This is a USB receiver that is by default supported on Windows but I do not see how to use it as a source for AnalysIR.
Simple answer is No. This is because the eHome or MCE receiver is a HID device and AnalysIR only works via ith Serial ( & WiFi LAN)

Longer answer: In theory you could hook the eHome receiver up to LIRC on windows(winLIRC) or Linux/RPi (LIRC) and manually take the output and import it into AnalysIR. However, I dont have specific instructions on-hand for that - but you should be able to find it online. Once you have hte output you can post it & I can advise how to import.
jeroenterheerdt

Re: Microsoft eHome infrared receiver & AnalysIR

Post by jeroenterheerdt »

thanks, that makes sense - I am using the Raspberry PI route now.
AnalysIR
Site Admin

Post by AnalysIR »

OK - If you are using RPi & LIRC, then if you use the MODE2 command of LIRC, you should be able to set up direct network connection between AnalysIR & RPi. The docs for this are provided with your initial download.
Thanks – I have replied. I have successfully been able to capture some keys – and have tried to find a step-by-step tutorial but could not really find it. I’ll attach my session file to this email. Could you help me further or point me to a step-by-step tutorial?
What I have done is press each button on the remote making sure to only change one thing at a time.
I checked the history file you emailed me & It appears to have lots of bad signals & 2 different protocols. Dont worry about the 2 different protocols, as the names are arbitrary & some systmes send 2 different length signals.

otherthings to do/try:
- delete any signal that is not recognised.
- when recording hold the remote abot 1m away from the receiver (you will be better results)
- The bit order for most AC systems is usually, LSB8...so select that from the Powertools menu and wait for the refresh to finish.
- Initially focus on the temperature signals, because only one bitfield changes (and also checksum). The tolls below make it easier to figure all this out.
- Once you have cleaned up the history, by removing RAW signals, check out the videos for reverse engineering & checksum calculator,via:
https://www.youtube.com/AnalysIR/videos.

Then post back if you have follow-up questions.
jeroenterheerdt

Thanks, I have cleaned up the signal (I think), have had a look at the videos. My conclusion is that there are two checksums in play, sometimes it seems to be the last byte and sometimes the first three bytes. Not sure though. Any chance you could have a look using the attached file? I have tried to be very specific in the naming of the buttons I used.
Rest assured that when this works I will open source it so everyone can benefit.
Also, after this, what should I do? How do I convert this output into a program? Not sure what to do next once it is reverse engineered.

Thanks again.
Apr 21 2018 192036_Mitsubishi RKX502A001P-2-RAW-removed_History.txt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AnalysIR
Site Admin

Post by AnalysIR »

My conclusion is that there are two checksums in play, sometimes it seems to be the last byte and sometimes the first three bytes.
I had a look at that earlier...(signals identified as mItsubishi only)

every second byte is the inverse of the other.
Except the third byte (C3 from memory), which is fixed.

I also checked the temp field which seemed consistent.

Code: Select all

Also, after this, what should I do? How do I convert this output into a program? Not sure what to do next once it is reverse engineered.
AnalysIR will output the code via Menu->File->Batch Export->IRremote.

You can then use IRremote to send the signals on Arduinos.

If you run out of RAM, there are several examples on our blog (sending signals from flash / sending signals from HEXvalue) which make it very compact code.

If you are sending from RPI, then you ahve to export as LIRC RAW and load the signals into LIRC for sending.
jeroenterheerdt

Thanks, I do not really understand if I need to fix the checksum first, nor do I understand how.
AnalysIR
Site Admin

Post by AnalysIR »

If you just want to resend a signal, that you have saved....you can just send the timings recorded (without bothering about checksums etc).

So if you have a few settings that you want to use: e.g.
1. Temp 21degC, Fan High, ON
2. Temp 20degC, Fan LOW, ON
3. OFF

Then all you have to do is to record the timings and send these as IR signals, with whatever platform you are using (Arduino/RPI etc). It is assumed you have some knowlege of IR remote control & C programming (or equivalent language). If you are using LIRC you should know how to configure it for send & receive.

If you want to generate a signal based on field values (like temperature, fan etc) then you need to figure out where all of the fields are stored. Our reverse engineeringtool in AnalysIR will help, along with the checksum calculator.

Check this link out (several pages of blogs). You will find quite a few posts that are relevant and worth studying.
https://www.analysir.com/blog/tag/air-conditioner/
jeroenterheerdt

Today I was finally able to complete the decoding of the protocol of the Mitsubishi AC at home. I will post about this in a new topic. Thanks for all the help, AnalysIR was really useful to decode the signals